Let's start with a game of billiard…….
In the game of billiards, the players first focus on pocketing one of the red balls and thereafter aim to get a colored ball into a pocket. You get points for each ball, but the player gets more points for the colored balls.
Each player takes their turn pocketing the balls presented on the table until the very end. At the end of the game, the player or team with the highest scores wins.
Now, what does this have to with business? The answer is simple: It is all about focus!
Do you focus on just one aspect of your business? Or are you everything to everyone?
When you are in the Field Service Business, you are highly acquainted with many Field Service Technicians (Tradies/ Tradespeople) and businesses in your area. You’ve seen many Tradie vans with stickers that mention everything they do. Each service is listed to grab the attention of passing customers, sometimes the list of what they do is larger than the name of the business. Ask yourself this question- is this good business? I would disagree and say No!
If you take this suggestion to any marketing agency, I would bet that the marketing consultant will in return give you a concerned look. It is super hard or nearly impossible to market everything to everyone, whereas, when you can be more narrowly focused on what you do, you have the opportunity to win the marketing war.
Let me give you two examples:
A Plumbing Business in Melbourne does all the plumbing and gas fitting work for anyone anywhere.
This is what they have to target if they want to market their business and services:
- The audience they need to reach will be 5.1 Million people
- The search words are high including plumbing or everything
- The competition will be high
- Your current reputation is just a plumber.
- The tools for the job will be high, you will need several tools.
- The skills required will be broad with experience, which is expensive to acquire.
- The travel distance between jobs will be longer or shorter, depending on the location it can take hours to reach the destination.
- The profit for the business will result to be low or moderate.
Now compare this with a plumber who focuses on marketing a particular service
A Plumbing Business that specialises in bathroom renovations in the southern inner suburbs of Melbourne centred around St Kilda
- The audience they need to focus on will be around 500,000 people
- The search words they need to use will be few such as bathroom renovations
- Your reputation will be designated as the bathroom specialist and will be worth the extra money
- Tools required are focused on just what is required to do the one job type
- The skills required are focused and easily trainable, and the overall cost will be cheaper
- Travel distances are less than 30 minutes
- Profit for the business will be high
The focus on business can change how your business is operating. So what would you do? Struggle to market your business with a lack of focus? Or focus on your speciality and earn massive profits?
Before we can make a decision we ought to ask ourselves what do we focus on exactly? How do we decide which part of the business we must focus on?
So what will you do?
So now, you have an ideal customer avatar and a niche of work that you do. You are focused on what to do in your business, and when you take that to a marketing agency/advertising agency or SEO agency and see the response, they will be excited to work for you… and generate the results that you expect.
But while you focus on your niche and customer there is something in the back of your mind that will constantly bother you- that is the question- what about the other work or services that you can be providing?
I have an answer for you!
If you are thinking about the other things, then sure you can still do any other work that your trades do but don’t make it your focus. Over time, like Google, you might expand into other areas but keep your marketing and delivery focused on your niche and customer avatar. This way you will be able to build your business with a solid foundation!
By the end of this article, I hope you got the key for your business! However, as many Field Service business owners dive deep into the industry with their services, they often find themselves losing focus due to the overwhelming management process.
When your business is flowing with inquiries you will require to upgrade your systems, a platform like i4T Business is an ideal solution for Field Service Technicians and business owners to take care of the management process while focusing on marketing the business to their niche customers!
Hot off the press!
With our cutting-edge technology and in-depth knowledge of how the Field Service Management sector operates, the i4TGlobal Team loves to share industry insights to help streamline your business processes and generate new leads. We are driven by innovation and are passionate about delivering solutions that are transparent, compliant, efficient and safe for all stakeholders and across all touch points.