Home maintenance services have transformed from merely failure-fixing activities to becoming a crucial strategic component to accomplish goals.
A strategic plan, answering the question of how to earn more money via home maintenance service is much simpler.
One of the key possibilities for achieving this is because achieving sustainability in growing maintenance service industries has remained a challenge. This is why earning money via this business has garnered much attention over the last two decades.
The advantages of starting a career in house maintenance far outweigh the drawbacks. Therefore, now is the ideal time to pursue it as a source of income.
4 Steps to Start a Home Maintenance business
The success of the business relies on this component. You must ask yourself questions like:
- What is your true passion?
- Is this a service that people are willing to pay a high price for?
- Will customers consistently ask for this service?
- Is it possible for you to do it all by yourself? and many other things.
Research can be divided into two categories, primary and secondary. You can either ask other business owners who have already launched their ventures. As an alternative, you can learn more by reading books, going online, or even enrolling in classes.
2. Business permit
Once you are certain of the type of house maintenance you will perform, it is time to obtain the necessary permits. As a result, you can conduct business legally. Having a permit gives you the advantage of gaining clients’ complete trust and securing their business in the long run.
If you want to expand your business, you will need to show that you have the required licence when hiring staff. Without a licence, operating a home maintenance business is not recommended. After all, earning such certifications will help you feel more motivated to work in your industry.
3. Equipment purchasing and hiring
One of the major advantages of starting a house maintenance business is that money is most needed at this point. To transport equipment, high-quality, long-lasting tools and supplies, you will need to buy a van or truck.
Additionally, you may employ professionals from various fields to provide services based on your business proposal. They could be part-time workers or full-time employees. Having a trustworthy internal team will help you achieve your dreams much faster and make more profits.
4. Branding and marketing
Establish a business name and make it your brand. Your customers will be able to tell precisely which business you represent and how dependable the services are through this. However, none of this would be possible without marketing.
Marketing is how you will reach out to more clients.
Some of the marketing strategies include:
- Run search advertising
- Engage your audience on social media
- Use video marketing of your services
- Try Google Local Services ads
- Customer reviews to improve online reputation
- User-friendly website/mobile app
- Manage your business listings
- Obtain referrals
- Deploy live chat
- Get your branding everywhere
Top 11 In-Demand Home Maintenance Services
Here is a list of the top 11 services you can cater to. One of these services can be your area of expertise, or you can offer most of them under one brand name.
However, there is no limit to choosing what you wish to do because it’s always “more the merrier.”
1. Plumbing repair and maintenance
Absolutely crucial to pay attention to. No one wants an overflowing or clogged sink in the restroom area. You may want to hire a trained professional to do this service for all your clients. Some of the most typical plumbing issues are listed below:
- Garbage disposal issues
- Leaky faucet
- Running toilet
- Clogged drains
- Frozen pipes
- Leaky pipes
2. Electrical repair and maintenance
3. HVAC system repair and maintenance
One of the expensive investments of a property is this. It requires severe monitoring and servicing. You will need to schedule ductwork cleaning, conduct routine air conditioning inspections, and clean or replace the air filters as needed. Overall, you are in charge of maintaining its condition.
4. External building repair and maintenance
Power washing techniques are in demand to keep the building exteriors clean. However, some of the other key outdoor services are as follows:
- Examining the roof for shingles that are broken or loose.
- To prevent leaks, mildew, and mould, ensure the siding is not broken, warped, or otherwise no longer adhering to the building.
- Removing leaves and other debris from clogged gutters
- Maintenance of patio, deck, and pool
Offering sump pump services to remove excess water from the basement and direct it toward a storm drain.
- Pumping septic tanks to remove sludge every three to five years
This kind of maintenance has been rapidly increasing in demand. It is essential for tenants and other locals in communal buildings. Among the crucial services are:
- Lawn Care
- Shrub & tree trimming
- Ornamental landscaping
7. Cleaning necessities
8. Building repairs and maintenance
9. Preventive upkeep
Regular inspections are necessary to ensure the durability of assets and prevent costly emergency upkeep. A few suggested tasks are as follows:
- Quarterly service of HVAC units
- Pest Prevention
10. Parking lots and public space maintenance
11. Fire and safety code compliance
Every single building requires the attention of a professional for fire safety. You will need to be up to date on all safety and precautionary information when providing this service as a caterer.
Other demanding services you can also cater to
- Maintenance of sports and recreational facilities
- Painting and wallpaper removing
- Deep cleaning and disinfecting vacant units (Covid, mould remediation, and other health hazards)
- Laundry equipment maintenance
- Moving trucks, trailers and container rental for renters
Earn More Profits With a Great Pricing Strategy
One way to determine your pricing is to determine what your competitors charge for each of these services. What are they cutting back on and leaving out? How can you enhance each service offering to improve your offer significantly?
Setting a starting price for each project in the home maintenance business is a wise pricing decision. Doing this will make it challenging for the landlord or property owners to compare vendor services.
The secret to success is to be distinct, pertinent, and personalised. Additionally, take into account brand-new specialised services that your rivals might not be able to offer. By doing this, you will draw in more customers while keeping your current ones for a more extended period of time.
Don’t Forget Technological Integration!
In today’s modern, technologically advanced world, it is crucial to use technology wisely to enhance your services and boost your revenue.
By adopting technologically advanced services into the system, there are many benefits you can get. Some of the main features and components of digital facility management include:
- Paperless operations
- Billing and payments
- Inventory management and optimising
- Cleaning and inspection evidence-based management
- Contract and compliance management
- Employee information and performance data
- Vendor information and digital module
- Customised vendor dashboards
- Physical environment live tracking
- Real-time energy monitoring
- E-complaint helpdesk and information
- Employee performance data
- Real-time work orders
- Online task checklists
- Space management
The above-mentioned steps can be completed by implementing a field service management business to provide home maintenance services.
Advantages of integrating i4T Business (FSM) software
- Streamline systems: FSM software makes systems more efficient. It converts all paper documents into simple-to-use digital formats, including calendars, spreadsheets, and whiteboards. This implies that you can access information at any time, anywhere.
- Provide excellent customer service management: From sales estimates to the finished project, FSM can handle it all. Through this, you can secure more work with online job requests, sales, estimates, and opportunity tracking.
- Enhances business visibility: FSM software can assist you in keeping your projects on schedule. Thereafter, you can also make strategic business decisions based on real-time project data.
- Eliminates billing mistakes: FSM software can automate and implement approval processors when billing clients. It does it more accurately and prevents missed opportunities for invoicing. Moreover, this can also shorten your billing cycle and improve your cash flow.
- Making Reporting Simpler: The programme can keep track of your KPIs, spot trends, and make strategic choices. The manual data entry and time spent creating reports are reduced because it increases the accuracy of data collection and recording.
It is never too late to start doing what you love. If you think that working toward implementing a house maintenance service will give you happiness and satisfaction, then you should go for it.
At the end of the day, how you manage your company is what matters. We advise using i4T Business FSM software to enhance your client management, resource management, and revenue management. This can be done by partnering with the i4T Business.
Enhancing the customer experience is essential for business expansion and there is no better way of doing so than with i4T Business. Satisfied customers of your house maintenance services are more likely to make additional purchases, leave positive reviews, and recommend your business to others. Register today and start your 14-day free trial with i4T Business.
Hot off the press!
With our cutting-edge technology and in-depth knowledge of how the Field Service Management sector operates, the i4T Global Team loves to share industry insights to help streamline your business processes and generate new leads. We are driven by innovation and are passionate about delivering solutions that are transparent, compliant, efficient and safe for all stakeholders and across all touch points.